This week of Camp has been interesting. On Monday I was exhausted so only wrote 348 words. Not a great day when it comes to trying to get a word count but oh well.
Due to this, I was concerned that I wouldn’t be able to catch up on Tuesday.
On Tuesday morning at work, I didn’t have a lot to do so I went into my Scrivener file for Topaas to see what scenes I could work on to try and get my word count up.
As I looked at the different chapters, which I’d only labeled with the POV character’s name, I figured I should put something else on there for reference while I’m drafting so I know where to look for things.
Upon reaching the chapter that’s one of the most important in the book I noticed that 2/3 of the chapter wasn’t in there.
Calm down, I said. I probably just haven’t typed it up from writing it in my notebook.
Only the very end of the scene is there.
Missing: THE CRITICAL MOMENT
I looked everywhere but the segment was nowhere to be found. Close to 1,000 words of the catalyst scene for my series, missing.
I needed to rewrite the scene.
I could do it and make it better.
I knew how I’d done it before but in thinking about it, the beginning felt boring.
I rewrote that entire segment, even the small bit that was in my notebook.
So where I thought I’d not even be able to get to where I wanted to be: 14,000 words (I’d gotten to 12,135 the day before), I ended up with 14,141 words!
The great thing is that it’s all good stuff :D.
You can do it, even when you don’t think you can!
Keep moving forward!